viernes, agosto 18, 2006

Cunningham Picture of the Day

Merce Cunningham in "Changeling" 1956
Photo by Richard Rutledge in www.artsalive.ca



I love Cunningham; you will find that out little by little... My life changed after my experience in the Cunningham world. I lived in NY for a year and a half (2003 - 2004) and worked at the Merce Cunningham Dance Company in the Development department while being a student at the studio... The Cunningham technique, in my opinion, is the most amazing dance technique in the world. The movement, the shapes, all the possibilities... It's amazing. Not too long ago I had a realization... this is what I wrote in an email to friend's of mine in NY:

"I realize a lot more now a days how much I felt in love with the technique, with the concepts, with the sensations, the energy... it's really incredible. Right now I sort of feel like Cunningham came into my life to stay, even if indirectly... I have been thinking about how can I apply his concepts to the creation of garments..."

So for my graduation runway show this November, I will try to apply Cunningham's creation concept to the creation of clothes... and I think this is the beginning of a very important life-long investigation.

No hay comentarios.: