domingo, agosto 27, 2006
Implications of the title
- 易 (yì), when used as an adjective, means "easy" or "simple", while as a verb it implies "to change".
- 經 (jīng) here means "classic (text)", which derived from its original meaning of "regularity" or "persistency", implying that the text describes the Ultimate Way which will not change throughout the flow of time.
The conception behind this title, thus, is profound. It has three implications:
- Simplicity - the root of the substance. The fundamental law underlying everything in the universe is utterly plain and simple, no matter how abstruse or complex some things may appear to be.
- Variability - the use of the substance. Everything in the universe is continually changing. By comprehending this one may realize the importance of flexibility in life and may thus cultivate the proper attitude for dealing with a multiplicity of diverse situations.
- Persistency - the essence of the substance. While everything in the universe seems to be changing, among the changing tides there is a persistent principle, a central rule, which does not vary with space and time.
Due to the profound ideas conveyed by the title itself, it is practically impossible to arrive at an unbiased translation which could preserve the original concepts intact. The translation of the title into English used to be Book of Changes, though a slightly more accurate name, Classic of Changes, appears more frequently in recent use.found in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-Ching
martes, agosto 22, 2006
lunes, agosto 21, 2006
domingo, agosto 20, 2006
sábado, agosto 19, 2006
viernes, agosto 18, 2006
"I realize a lot more now a days how much I felt in love with the technique, with the concepts, with the sensations, the energy... it's really incredible. Right now I sort of feel like Cunningham came into my life to stay, even if indirectly... I have been thinking about how can I apply his concepts to the creation of garments..."
So for my graduation runway show this November, I will try to apply Cunningham's creation concept to the creation of clothes... and I think this is the beginning of a very important life-long investigation.
What I do do is every once in a while write HUGE emails to my friends. I disappear for a while and then to compensate I write enormous emails telling them all the news… I could even post some of them… Some of them are really good! I’ve been writing emails since 97 when I left Brazil to go live in the US so I guess that's my type diary… too bad hotmail didn’t keep my sent messages back then, I’m sure I’ve lost real good information and some of the best emails! (I hate hotmail). I guess I just realized that I am an email writer… so I will write emails in my blog.
I decided I'll just talk about the things that I read, or think, or want to experiment with not limiting myself to doing a “fashion” blog… I do love fashion, study and work with it, read a lot about it, but I also have another important passion: dance. And have lots of other interests too, so I will just talk about whatever I feel like. I’m doing this for me, so I can read this later… And I’m writing this for you, if you find it interesting.
Anyway, I just decided to be myself, which is a beautiful thing…
One thing you need to know about me is that I speak three languages all the time and will do the same here… If I have to be me then I have to write in three languages. I am Brazilian, daughter of Uruguayans, lived in the US for almost 8 years and live in Uruguay in the moment.